Hey there, my sweet DIY-er’s!!
Today I’m sharing a super simple craft with you, blending my two favorite things – nostalgia, which is the thread that ties my style (my life, if we’re being real) together, and the refrigerator…because, ummm, food?!
Things you will need:
- Alphabet Magnets (I found mine at my happy place – Target! No pic. I apologize. I was too excited to paint!)
- Spray Paint (Choose a color you’ll like seeing every time you’re in the kitchen.)
- Plastic Drop Cloth (A box from the recycling bin will work just as well!)
- Fine Point Paintbrush and/or a Dip Pen (Pen optional – I felt like experimenting.)
- 1-3 Tubes of Acrylic Paint (This one is totally your call, you creative cutie, you!)
Turn on your favorite album (or my Velvet Morning Playlist right here!) and gather the stuff. This one won’t take long and the finished product will make you so happy each time you pass the refrigerator!
Layout your plastic (or cardboard) in your yard, or somewhere well ventilated. Evenly space your magnets – I suggest 2″ to 3″ apart, so you can easily get every nook and cranny. This is a good time to take into account which way the wind is blowing, so as not to cover yourself or your surroundings in paint.
Start spraying! Going at it from a horizontal angle will work best. The magnets have lots of little spaces to fill. As you go – work in a lateral fashion from each side of your drop cloth. Think clockwise, or counterclockwise…whatever floats your boat. Wait half an hour before applying a second coat of paint. Then let dry an hour before handling the magnets.
*Side-note: it was totally fun to hold the whole damn alphabet in my hands!! Enjoy this moment for it is rare.*
Once you’re back inside, or set up with your supplies outside, simply portion up some paint and start designing!
Place on Fridge and have fun spelling out words, like you might have as a child. #1 favorite in our house thus far – “BACON.”
Can’t wait to see what you come up with!! If you enjoyed this article, feel free to sign up for the e-mail list for more spirited DIY’s!
Never Not *Nostalgic*,
Owner of Five & Dime Vintage – Detroit and Never Not Dreaming Blog